Saturday, March 21, 2009

Why do You Do That?

The other day someone asked me, "why do you help others?" I told them I do it because I like to help people.

Another question I get asked a lot is, "what can I do to help?"

Let me remind you of Carlos. Carlos and I met about a year ago. He works at the Red Cross teaching First Aid. So a while back I mentioned how great it'd be if he taught First Aid classes at Foster. He said sure.

So next Tuesday Carlos will be giving a free seminar to 30+ parents in both Spanish and English on First Aid. He will being manequins to teach CPR and other basic First Aid. He is so excited and feels great helping other parents at the school.

So how can you help others? Here are some simple steps:

1. Start with something you love doing. I know a person who used to coach basketball that's thinking of how to use his coaching skill to help others.
2. Start with people you know. The reason Carlos' class works is because he's doing it with people he sees every day at the school
3. Connect people. Is there a way for example, to bring neighbors who are new to the neighborhood with the veterans. Is there a way to bring cultures together through food or music.
4. Do it for free. If you have to ask a friend or organization to cover basic costs, do a fundraiser, but keep the service free to people

So how can you stimulate the economy in a real way?

No comments:

Post a Comment